Seasonal poisoning risks: Common household threats
As you start to head through the wintery months towards Spring, there are a few things to be wary of in order to best look out for your dog. Poisons are a lot more common than you might think and your dogs inquisitive nature can lead them to sniffing the wrong things out - but learning to recognise common risks can make all the difference to your dogs health and safety.
You may be aware of a recent announcement that as many as 50 cat deaths a month are attributed to the widespread use of anti-freeze. Even a teaspoonful of ethyl glycol (the main ingredient within anti-freeze) can be toxic for your dog - and cases of poisoning at this time of year are so common due to the deceptively sweet taste of anti-freeze.
Symptoms of poisoniong can present themselves within just a few hours, deteriorating quickly and potentially leading to kidney failure. The best advice is to keep a close eye on your dog and get in touch with the vet immediately if they seem "drunk" - salivating, wobbling, vomiting and tremors may indicate ethyl glycol poisoning.
FLOWERING BULBS AND PLANTS
Toxins are very common in the bulbs of plants, and though the breakout of daffodils, hyacinths, tulips and crocus flowers all might be happy signs of Spring, your dog might have other ideas!! Keep a close eye on your flowerbeds, and watch out if your dog has a taste for digging about!!