Our Judging Critiques
The Potteries SBTC 50th Anniversary Championship Show - 19th July 2014 - Harry Robinson
My thanks to the committee and members of The Potteries Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club for an enjoyable day and for the hospitality shown. Thanks also to the stewards for their help.
Only four incorrect mouths however, some of the brindle dogs I have admired from the ringside and have been winning top honours did not have the preferred dark eye. Of all colours in the breed, brindles should be the ones with the dark eyes. Breeders need to take care of this when looking for a stud dog.
Coat condition on some was just awful, appearing to have not even been brushed. Grooming a dog is such an easy thing - why bother bringing them to a show without doing so.
Untidy feet can be helped by simple road work but again, just clipping the nails would help.
All this is a matter of presentation but on the day, it counts.
VETERAN DOG 4 (1)
1) Glassbrook & Rhodes - CAPTAIN RON: Black brindle dog with good head, neat and tidy ears, dark eye, correct mouth, nice level topline. Moved, handled and shown in top class coat condition.
2) Mr W & Mrs K Jackson's - CH. STORMBULL SO WOT JW: Black brindle dog looking in good shape with bold head. Well carried ears and correct bite. Good bone and substance. A good topline, strong hindquarters and moved with ease. Presented how you would expect. A worthy champion.
3) Mr J & Mrs G Roger's - BERRYSTOCK DEVILS ADVOCATE.
MINOR PUPPY DOG 4 (1)
1) Mr E & Mrs R Woollett's - ASSILIO RED ALERT: 7 months old red with correct bite, dark eyes, tidy well-carried ears. Good body for his age. Kept his topline on the move. Coat condition could have been better.
2) Mr J & Mrs S Wisniewski's - RUADONIS LITTLE LION MAN: Red & white, good headed, nice expression, well-carried ears and dark eye. Level topline, strong hindquarters, moved and showed OK.
3) Miss M Faliconnet's - TRICASTAFF INNIT TO WINIT.
PUPPY DOG 10 (1)
1) Mr & Mrs Peter's - KIMSTAFF VITANI: Black brindle of just over 9 ½ months. In gleaming coat condition with strong head. Neatest of ears, a dark eye and correct mouth. Good depth of brisket and a level topline which he kept on the move. A very promising youngster - one to watch. BEST PUPPY DOG and, with referee's decision, BEST PUPPY IN SHOW.
2) Freeman & Davies's - SAMTAN SIMBA'S LEGACY: Mahogany brindle, much the same as one. Good head, tidy well-carried ears with dark eyes & correct mouth. Straight front, good rib, strong hindquarters. Moved and handled well.
3) Butler's - RAMBLESTAFF COS I COULD.
JUNIOR DOG 17
1) Mrs K Tomas's - BIGGLESWICK FUNKY DEVIL: Red & white pied. Nicely shaped head with good expression and the neatest of well-carried, wafer-thin ears. Darkest of eyes & correct bite with good depth of brisket. Nice level topline, strong hindquarters. Moved and showed well.
2) Mrs L A Miller's - DELDENAS BLACK SHADOW: As the name implies, black brindle presented in good condition. Clean lipped & correct bite with nicely carried ears and dark eyes. Strong backend with nice bend of stifle. Moved OK.
3) Miss Woolley's - SPEEDHUNTER PASO DOBLE AT BETHALEESE.
YEARLING DOG 4
1) Sutcliffe P - PENDLESTAFF FIRESTORM: Red & white. Showed, handled & moved well. Kept his topline level on the move. Good depth of brisket. Tidy ears and dark eyes with a good mouth.
2) Miss F Gardner's - LABRASTAFF CURIOUS GEORGE. Black brindle. Neat & cobby dog with good head and tidy ears. Good level topline & moved OK. Presented in good coat condition.
3) Name withheld - black brindle.
NOVICE DOG 7
1) EVAN'S - HAMMYSTAFF FIREBLADE: Red & white, dark mask with a good expression. Dark eyes, well carried ears with a correct bite. Nice depth of brisket. Kept his topline on the move. Showed well.
2) PENDLESTAFF FIRESTORM
3) Martinez I & J R - BULLBROTHERS FIFTH ELEMENT.
GRADUATE DOG 3 (2)
1) Walker & Rollins - SEENWORSTAFF TRUE GRIT FOR JANICASTCO: A deep red, quality dog that deserved his first place even though standing alone. Tidy ears, nicely proportioned head with dark eyes. Clean lipped and correct mouth. Well laid shoulders with good rib & strong hindquarters. Moved fine and handled well.
POST GRADUATE DOG 15 (4)
1) Mr R & Mrs W Southworth's - ALBERMARBULL GAMBLER FOR STAFFMASTER: Fawn & white with good strong head. Distinct stop. Neat and well-carried ears and the darkest of eye. A good, clean bite, well boned with level topline which he kept on the move. Strong hindquarters. Presented and shown in good condition.
2) Miss K Cramer's - ROUGHNECKS CRUSADER FOR INSHAIG: Deep red of smaller proportions than one but sound with a nice type of head & dark eye. Well set ears & correct mouth. Good depth of brisket with a sound backend and moved OK. Put down in fine coat and shown well.
3) Miss L J Ferguson's - ROUGHNECKS RAGING BULL.
LIMIT DOG 14 (2)
1) Mrs N Fulford's - STAFFSTYLE BURNING HEART AT BOKIDO: A compact red & white with a good broad skull with tidy neat-set ears that he carried well. Nice round, dark eyes with a clean lip & good bite. Straight front with a good depth of brisket & barrel rib tapering well into the loins. Good bend of stifle giving a good, solid movement. Nice coat condition and handled well. Pleased to award RESERVE CC.
2) Mr E & Mrs C Ryan's - RUBERICLA BLACK STARSCREAM: As the name implies, black brindle. Nice headed dog in gleaming coat with neat & tidy ears. A dark eye & correct mouth. A nice broad front and good rib with level topline and strong hindquarters. Moved & shown well.
3) Halls's - GEORDIESTAFF CANNY LADDIE JW.
OPEN DOG 20 (2)
1) Smith's - CH STAFFASH THE HURRICANE: Red & white pied bold, handsome dog with beautiful expression. Pronounced cheek muscles, clean lipped with correct bite & dark eyes. Ears carried well and alert at all times. Wide front with good depth of brisket. A level topline with a barrel rib, tapering well into the loin. Strong hindquarters with well bent stifle. Correct tail set and nicely carried. Movement of the best. Presented in gleaming coat condition. Surely a joy to own. My CC WINNER and, on referee's decision, BEST IN SHOW.
2) Hedges & Bogovcic's - CH SUURISUUN BOPPINGHAM'S BIRULAI: Another red & white pied of similar markings to one. A worthy champion that I have seen in better shape. However, he has a nice head, neat & tidy ears and darkest of eyes. A perfect scissor bite with clean lips. Good spring of rib with a good topline. Strong hindquarters resulting in the desired movement. Handled & shown well.
3) Davies's - CH ECLYPSTAFF CUZ I CAN: Black brindle.
HARRY ROBINSON (HAMASON)